J.J. Young on 5 Aug 2003 14:02:35 -0000

Re: [eia] casualty assignments + issues regarding New Political Combos

2.)  I think that if a player is able to create a new political combination,
this is worthy of more benefit than just the +1 or +2 PP you get; so I say,
let the garrisons stand, as long as the marker for the political combination
remains on the board.

1.)  So yes, I think that in terms of nationality, all the components of a
political combination belong to the same country.  After all, new garrisons
which are placed after the combination's formation have no "nationality"
other than this.

Back to 2.)
But what happens if the conditions are met for the political combination to
disappear (its marker is removed from the map) ?  This happens only when the
last component with a corps is conquered or ceded.  So it seems simple to
say that when the political combination no longer exists, all of its
garrisons, everywhere, are removed at that time.

So in the example of the Kingdom of Westphalia, any of its garrisons outside
Hesse are considered Hanoverian (2 morale).  If Hanover was conquered but
Hesse remains (and so the KoW remains), then any garrisons in, say,
Magdeburg would still remain.  But if both Hesse and Hanover are lost, the
KoW disappears, along with all of its garrison factors, in Magdeburg or
elsewhere, even in places still under the KoW founder's control.

That's how I think we should handle it.  But it's not a point clearly
defined in the rules, and I could certainly understand someone seeing the
issue a different way.

-JJY