Danny Mount on 28 Apr 2003 21:01:03 -0000

RE: [eia] [escrow] October 1805 Political Orders

I agree with Kyle on this point.  I believe we took a vote last time and it
was a 4-3 split.  I think that we need to use the factors on the map when
declaring war because it would be too easy to alter our forces to make up a
way to try and enter into a country.  I still believe that using the factors
on the map is the way to go, but maybe no one else's ideas for this have
changed.
-DEM

-----Original Message-----
From: eia-admin@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:eia-admin@xxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Kyle
Sent: Monday, April 28, 2003 4:26 PM
To: eia@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [eia] [escrow] October 1805 Political Orders

    Thanks for this response.  My problem was that I had forgotten to move
the Spanish fleet from Cartegena to Barcelona on my physical map.
    But when I thought that Spain's fleet was still at Cartegena it occurred
to me how ridiculous our current interpretation of  4.2.2.3 is (the
"physically impossible" rule).  On our current interpretation, we are saying
that it is "physically possible for the declaring major power to enter the
minor country's territory during this turn" when it is merely conceptually
possible for the major power to build a new corps.  But that interpretation
places virtually no limits on a major power.  Because, after all, *some*
type of reinforcements come every month.  October is a militia reinforcement
month.  So (if Spain's fleet were at Cartegena) Spain could say, well I
*could* build a new corps with the militia factors I have due this month.
And I *could* transport that corps by sea.  Therefore it is physically
possible for me to enter Algeria this turn.  Same goes for November.  If
Spain were to make the declaration in November (under the same imaginary
conditions), Spain could say, well I *could* build a new corps with the
cavalry factors I have due this month.  And I *could* transport that new
corps by sea to Algeria.  ...  The point is, there will never be an occasion
where building a new corps in a port city of the home nation is not at least
a conceptual possibility.

    To be overly pedantic (philosophical?), I think we have confused
"physically possible" with "conceptually possible" in our interpretation of
this rule.

kdh