Michael Gorman on 21 Dec 2002 20:11:01 -0000

Re: [eia] dice re-roll policy

At 12:15 PM 12/21/2002 -0500, you wrote:
> My concern is this.  We will probably screw up land orders again at some
> point this game.  I'm uncomfortable with the idea of people reworking land
> orders with fore knowledge of how their battles will go.  I don't know if
> it made a difference for Prussia or if it will ever make a difference, but
> being able to rework your land orders with the knowledge that this or that
> roll will go your way or not go your way seems a bad idea.

    I agree that substantively changing one's land orders after one is aware
of the results of dice rolls could lend itself to abuse, and in such cases,
new dice rolls are approrpriate.  On the other hand, land orders which are
meant only to accommodate a previous mistake and which are not intended as
substantive changes should not require new die rolls.  So I guess it boils
down to what we take to be a "substantive" change in the orders.
    As I pointed out earlier, Prussia's land orders seemed (to me anyway) to
have been revised in the spirit of making as few changes as necessary to
maintain the same results as the previous set of orders.  That is, it seemed
to me that Jim was consciously trying *not* to change anything of substance
in his orders so as not to take advantage of his foreknowledge.  Under those
circumstance, I think a person ought to be able to keep his rolls.  (Recall
that the only change between the first set and the second set was the
location of one corps and its leader.  After having sent my email last night
in which I suggested that Jim move that corps up to make the first set and
the second set identical, it occurred to me that perhaps he is *unable* to
pay for the supply necessary to move that corps forward.  If that is the
case, then it is clear that he has made the minimum number of changes
necessary to keep his orders the same given his budget constraint.)

Actually it was two corps and those two corps constituted half of the forces attacking Russia this turn. So, if only changing half of the relevant land orders is not substantive, then I guess this is a small change. However, I then must wonder, what is a big change?