Kyle Haidet on 16 Dec 2002 16:20:01 -0000

Re: [eia] Relief Battle of Naples

>First round, the British inflict -1 I and -1.8 morale.
>Second round, the British inflict -1 I and 0.8 morale.
>Third round, the British inflict -1 I and -0.5 morale.

   Those were some nice rolls, by the way.  They gave me a momentary scare!  Good thing I brought the Naples corps along, otherwise you'd have had cav superiority and would have broken me!

>A couple of points, here.  First of all, since only the relieving force's
>cavalry is available for pursuit (7.5.4.2.3.2), there was only 1 French C
>factor pursuing, anyway, which made any casualties almost impossible.

   Thanks for the clarification.  I had forgotten about that rule.  Here's another clarification.  The corps at Naples is the French VII infantry.  I mistakenly wrote VIII infantry in my previous email.  (It was just a typo.)

>Second, regardless of how we handle combined movement, shouldn't Russia's
>land phase be taking place at the same time as France's ?  Isn't it a
>mistake to resolve this battle until Russia moves its forces, so that they
>don't have advanced knowledge of the outcome ?  I forgot about this myself
>until just now, but we need to be more careful about it in the future.

   Good point.  I can't see how this battle in Italy might affect the Russian land orders, but you are absolutely right in principle.  Generally, we should see all land orders from allies using combined movement prior to resolving combats.

kdh

P.S. The French infantry corps loses 2 inf. factors and the Naples corps loses 1 inf. factor.