jhelle on 28 Jul 2002 16:25:02 -0000

Re: [eia] economic phase question

>    In our past games, loans - like all other economic details -
have >been private matters between the loaner and the loanee.  I
don't see any >reason to change that interpretation, unless we
decide that we prefer >open economics more generally.  That is,
if we would all feel >comfortable making our economic phase
decisions publicly available, so >that there is external
accountability, that would be fine by me.  But in >the past, we
have always left it up to each player's honor and diligence >to
ensure that everything is taken care of correctly.  (Of course,
those >who have questions, like JJ did, are encouraged to ask.)
>    So the essence of my response is:  if economic phases are
private, >then loans should be private; if economic phases are
public, then loans >should be public.

>kdh

everyone's >opinion before we get to the economic phase.

>  -JJY

between major >powers and their free states) and/or their amounts
be secret or public >knowledge ?

>      -JJY
>
>    I feel that economic actions should be private.  By letting
other major powers know what you are buying you are also letting
them know how long it will take for your reinforcements to
arrive.  This is an unfair advantage to a major power{ even
though I realize that it will apply to everyone equally}.
    I also feel that loans should be done privately.  In reality
financial support may be given to a group or country even as that
same group or country are denounced publicly.  We should recreate
that option in our game.