J.J. Young on 28 Jul 2002 04:36:05 -0000

[eia] Battle of Amsterdam, sieges of Amsterdam and Kassel

Kyle, Jim and I met face-to-face today, and decided to resolve the conflicts on the Northern front:

Battle of Amsterdam
Britain & Prussia (no commander):  II British corps, ??? Prussian corps;  19 I, 3 C, 3.9 morale;  chose ECHELON.
France (led by Ney):  XI corps;  9 I, 1 C, 4.0 morale;  chose CORDON.

The French were at +1 because of tactical rating, Coalition forces were at 0 because of tactical rating and cavalry superiority.
Since the British corps made a sea landing, the river tables for Cordon applied.

First round:  French lost -2 I and -1.1 morale, Coalition lost -1 I and -0.4 morale.
Second round:  French lost -2 I and -1.1 morale, Coalition lost -1 I and -1.6 morale.
Third round:  French lost -1 I and -0.2 morale, Coalition lost -1 I and -1.3 morale.

Neither side was broken, and the French chose to withdraw during the night, while the Coalition forces stayed in control of the battlefield.
The Coalition attempt at pursuit was ineffective.
Total French losses:  5 I.  Total Coalition losses:  1 British I and 2 Prussian I.

Siege of Amsterdam - breach
The 1 I French garrison either surrendered or was wiped out.
The Coalition forces captured the city, leading the French to scuttle the Holland fleet.
France lost 1 PP for scuttling the fleet.

Siege of Kassel - breach
The 1 I French garrison fought and was wiped out to reveal the Prussian forces.

Lingering Questions
Kyle, where did Ney's corps retreat (to Breda or due east of Amsterdam) ?
Jim, which Prussian corps fought in the battle of Amsterdam ?
Jim, which Prussian corps laid siege to Kassel, along with the Saxony corps, and how many factors does it have ?
Kyle, did the French garrison at Amsterdam fight or surrender ?

-JJY