Peter Cooper Jr. on Tue, 12 May 2015 17:08:22 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] Prop: Prohibit Time Travel Shenanigans

On May 12, 2015, at 12:43 PM, 0x44 <bnomic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Rule 4-6 states that each proposal in numeric order becomes Passed, and in
> 1-11 that the actions contained within occur in order. However, there
> exists no rule specifying how long it takes for the actions within a Motion
> to take effect.

True, which is why I think they happen at the time that the Rules say they do. This isn’t Magic: the Gathering where triggers somehow wait around for nothing else to be happening before they get looked at. My intent, and the way I will rule if it is up to me to do so, is that as each proposal becomes Passed, in order, that’s when its effects happen. I don’t see why there would be a delay until Rule 4-6 finished before starting the actions specified in r1-11.

> We could measure by the length of time that it took the
> Administrator to update the Game State, but if a Proposal were to change
> the Administrator such a Proposal could never be executed. It seems more
> reasonable to assume that an infinitesimal epsilon passes in which all
> Proposals become Passed and their Actions Occur, and that Proposals are
> platonically in the state they would be per the criteria set forth in Rule
> 4-6 when the Administrator (whomever e is) updates the State of the game.

This may be the crux of the different viewpoints here. And this just may be my background is some of the platonic aspects of ancient Eras of B Nomic, but from my point of view, what the Rules say is what happens, regardless of whether the Administrator has said so or updated any documentation accordingly. There’s no definition of a Public Display, or of Recognizing actions before they take effect, or any such thing. So, for example, when Wild Card sent eir message that e was joining yesterday, that did actually happen then, and e sent Proposals since then, even though I haven’t announced anything about eir status to a Public Forum.

There's just Rule 2-2, which says that it’s the Administrator’s duty to help Players understand what has happened, but that doesn’t mean that the Administrator is infallible in such matters. (The current Rule 2-3 does say that the Administrator’s rulings are what happens, but in my mind that really is something completely different than just assigning the Administrator the duty of informing the players what happened.)

Perhaps people from other Nomics with other traditions would reasonably interpret things differently. I sure hope we have a justice system by next nweek.

--
Peter C.