Craig Daniel on Thu, 23 Dec 2010 13:54:28 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] This game is boring, let's have an Emergency.

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 3:18 PM, Geoffrey Spear <wooble@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 2:28 PM, Craig Daniel <teucer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 12:42 PM, Geoffrey Spear <wooble@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> I really wish Wonko's old database directly tracked which proposals
>>> passed, although I think I can reconstruct all of the Antient Era from
>>> the voting records.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure about Era 2.  It... ummm... might not have happened.
>>
>> ...what?
>
> See the {{ }}-delimited quote in my above message.  The Emergency that
> started Era 2 seems to have been started illegally, on the basis that
> no one was objecting to it being done illegally and that no "nomic
> police" would come after the players for breaking the rules as
> written.
>
> Of course, quite possibly some of the stuff that happened subsequently
> also worked under the old rules.

Seems to me we have two options, then.

One, pragmatism. Era 2 happened, and the only history that didn't
happen is what the rules say didn't happen (because the rules trump
reality in that regard). If the random-history RP passes, then the 2nd
Era involves many actual past rulesets, as do the third and sixth.

Two, platonism. We are not in an emergency right now, because we
didn't do the procedure properly; nothing since the "end" of the first
era is real. Not much has happened in the game since then, aside from
people joining and leaving, and it's time for B Nomic to be just
coming out of the biggest slump in nomic history.

 - teucer