Craig Daniel on Sun, 25 Jul 2010 11:49:07 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Proposal: Name shenanigans have run their course

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Ed Murphy <emurphy42@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Proposal:  Name shenanigans have run their course

They're at least useful for figuring out the timing issue, since I
can't think of anything else where it's easy to make it obviously
relevant to the gamestate for a judge to rule on.

> The names of the players who have generally (but not necessarily
> formally) been known by the following names are changed to those
> names:
> {
> 0x44
> ais523
> Codae
> Gitchel
> teucer
> }
>
> [[All of these should be unambiguous.]]

The only ambiguity I see is how many copies of the name "teucer" I end up with.

> Amend Rule 47 (Name Changes) to read:
> {
> A player may change eir own name at any time by a post to the public
> forum specifying eir new name.  No player shall change eir name to be
> overly similar to any word or phrase that is explicitly defined by the
> rules, or that could become defined by the rules based on proposals
> currently being voted on.
> }
>
> [[Rule 2 still prevents an overly similar name from stealing
> references.  If it's debatable whether a given name is "overly
> similar", take it to the courts.]]

I think this should also specify nothing overly similar to the names
of any players; Rule 2 only prevents taking a non-unique name for
reference-stealing.

Also, I would suggest making such changes something we CANNOT do,
rather than SHALL NOT; that way, once a name is ruled to have been
overly similar it automatically reverts to the pre-change state.
(Platonically, it would in fact always have been the pre-change name.)

> Amend Rule 60 (Titles) by replacing this text:
> {
> Titles are names that are defined to be titles by the rules.
> }
> with this text:
> {
> Titles are text strings that are defined to be titles by the rules.
> }

This is useful, yes.

One thing I would suggest amending this to add is that new players get
precisely one name, and that it must be unique.

 - teucer