Ed Murphy on Mon, 25 Jan 2010 19:59:39 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Definitely not a Bribe Proposal

JamesB wrote:

>> Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 10:58:14 -0800
>> From: emurphy42@xxxxxxxxxxxx> To: spoon-discuss@xxxxxxxxx
>> Subject: Re: [s-d] [s-b] Definitely not a Bribe Proposal

> I don't think so as the word "next" is used so there must be double
> close square brackets following double open square brackets and only
> the first double close square brackets that are arrived at will be
> taken as the closing delimiter, with the text between the two
> character sequences "[[" and "]]" being taken as the comment.
>
> So "]] (comment) [[" wouldn't work, as that is "[[" and the previous
> "]]", and "[[ ]] (comment) [[ ]]" wouldn't work, as the the first "]]"
> arrived at closes the outside comment ("next" does not mean "second
> along").

I believe the case that triggered a crisis last time was something like

  Rule 501:  blah blah [[ blah blah

  Rule 502:  blah blah blah blah

  Rule 503:  blah blah [[ blah blah ]] blah blah

which (if the ruleset is interpreted as one long document) means that
all of Rule 502 is arguably commented out.