Ed Murphy on Mon, 25 Jan 2010 11:59:23 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Definitely not a Bribe Proposal

JamesB wrote:

>> Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 16:48:35 +0000
>> From: darkemalcolm@xxxxxxxxxxx
>> To: spoon-business@xxxxxxxxx
>> Subject: [s-b] Definitely not a Bribe Proposal
>>
>> I submit a proposal:
>> [[
>>   Title: Bribe them with kindness
>>   [[
>>     Text: Award every player 10 points.
>>   ]]
>> ]]
>>

> This may have no effect as it is between comment delimiters. It is ambiguous as Official Documents are not defined by the rules but I believe a proposal would count as an Official Document.

I stand by my judgement, both because "Official Document" is indeed
undefined, and because Rule 8 does not clearly nullify comment text
within proposals (at least "shall not have the force of Rule" is
moot, as proposals don't have the force of Rule anyway).  In fact,
in the specific case of proposals to create or amend a rule such
that it includes comment text, Rule 8 *should not* nullify that
text within the context of the proposal's effects if adopted.

Oh, and Rule 8 is also potentially subject to the old "unmatched
delimiter -> large chunk of the ruleset commented out" bug, so
whoever proposes a fix to the above issues should clear that up
as well while they're at it.