Justin Ahmann on Tue, 10 Feb 2009 14:54:14 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] A gamestate clarification request to the Administrator

...So, if we're being greedy about it, the game is even more messed up than we thought?

Codae

________________________________
From: Craig Daniel <teucer@xxxxxxxxx>
To: discussion list for B Nomic <spoon-discuss@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 4:49:47 PM
Subject: Re: [s-d] [s-b] A gamestate clarification request to the Administrator

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 4:31 PM, Justin Ahmann
<quesmarktion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The line regarding Clock incrementation is clearly between [[ and ]]--the fact that there are also ]] and [[ between them does not
> change this.  The non-greedy version is supported by
>
> a) it is the intent of the comment-text Rule, and
> b) it's the way we've done it since the comment-text Rule was established.
>
> Neither of these is reflected in the Rule itself, which is a Game Document consisting of _text_.
>
> Re: the Ruleset as a whole: Did the Rules as of October 2003 say that the game was governed by the Rules, or by the Ruleset?  If
> the latter, then your much-abridged Ruleset is relevant; if the former, then I do not believe it is.

If you're being non-greedy about it, normally it's the Rules in effect
- which I believe excludes those rules that are commented out, but
thankfully the sane reading doesn't have any. However, a few things
were explicitly about the Ruleset. The permissibility of the
unprohibited allowed things that weren't forbidden by the Ruleset (as
distinct from the Rules), and the rule indicating that proposals that
failed didn't take effect said they didn't affect the Ruleset rather
than that they didn't affect Rules.

In the greedy interpretation? Neither, though it had a comment to that
effect. Although it also comments out the definition where it tells
you the ruleset is the collective body of rules.

Actually, I suppose the greedy version means the individual rules
worked, but were distinct from the Ruleset (because the latter had
most rules commented out of it), which means that every proposal that
failed since that state of affairs came into being changed those Rules
that were commented out and not therefore in the Ruleset (and thus
changed the relevant pieces of gameplay).