Jamie Dallaire on Fri, 16 Jan 2009 15:18:07 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Let's not do the time warp again, please

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 4:59 PM, <bnomic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 12:39:34 -0800, Jay Campbell <bnomic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >
> > e.g. the clock has been wrong on the PD since era 5 started, till
> > ratification made it correct. An nweek has passed that there's no
> > history for. (Having not read the channel backlog today I'm not sure
> > this is 0x44 & ehird's argument, actually.)
>
> Please note, this is not /my/ argument. I suggested that the skipped nweek
> happened at the beginning of the fifth era, and ratified the clock as
> correct. That would be incorrect, however, if ratifying the clock as
> correct from the start of the 5th era required retro-activity. My Tweak
> mentioned no retroactivity, and Rule 5e10 forbids it - which means that we
> were likely platonically in the previous Nweek, and the activation of the
> tweak caused us to skip forward a week. All Pending Proposals become
> historical, since none of them passed, and it's now nday 1 of nweek 154 -
> since the clock stops at the start of the nweek.

Actually, I think those proposals go into a sort of limbo.

"Decision's Deadline, a point in time after the start of Ballotday of the
nweek, by default the end of the nweek"

So the deadline for them, in your clock scenario (with which I entirely
agree), would be the end of nweek 153 (not the start of nweek 154, or any
point in 154).

"When a Proposal's Voting Period ends:" [tallying procedure]

So I think the 153 proposals were created, became Pending, but their voting
period was skipped entirely. Therefore, they were never caused to win, lose,
or become historical (which now that I look at the rules, only happens to
withdrawn proposals).

"A Decision before its Voting Period is said to be Pending."

We're no longer before the voting period, so they're not pending either.

They're just there, neither in Voting nor pending, nor lost nor won nor
historical (note that the Rules don't say that a proposal has to be any of
those things, so this doesn't create a weird existence paradox).

They're just there, and nothing will happen to them if inertia has anything
to say about it (ie if no external forces do).

BP