Jamie Dallaire on Thu, 15 Jan 2009 19:20:50 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Proposal: Point of Order!

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 7:32 PM, 0x44 <bnomic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Each Player may submit a single vote on each Point of Order which can be
> exactly one of Yea or Nay, up until the end of the first absolute day after
> the Point of Order reaches the Public Forum. If, after the first absolute
> day from its reaching the Public Forum, a Point of Order has more Yea votes
> than Nay votes, it is said to be Selected, otherwise it is discarded. If a
> selected Point of Order is Dependent on a discarded Point of Order, it to is
> discarded. If a selected Point of Order is Contradictory to another selected
> Point of Order, the Point of Order with the greater number of Yea votes to
> Nay votes is selected, otherwise they are both discarded.

I like. One thing, though: PoOs shouldn't be permitted to be declared
Contradictory or Dependent on/to other PoOs for which voting is over.

Once voting is over on a PoO, I think we should be able to take for granted
that it has either been selected or discarded. Anything that would have been
declared dependent on a given PoO can simply not be submitted if that PoO
failed, and anything contradictory not submitted if that PoO succeeded.

The way it is phrased now, we might get an early PoO moved from selected to
discarded because a PoO near the end of the Unrest says it is Contradictory
to it. And this undoes everyone's assumptions about what kind of (hopefully
better) ruleset we are building towards.

Also, because discarded and selected aren't defined as mutually exclusive,
the above scenario would actually lead to the first PoO being selected, then
discarded, i.e. being both at once at the end. So I guess it would still go
through when the Chairman does eir thing...

BP