James Baxter on Thu, 15 Jan 2009 14:21:58 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Laws of Grey...

> Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 16:03:42 -0500
> From: bad.leprechaun@xxxxxxxxx
> To: spoon-discuss@xxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [s-d] [s-b] Laws of Grey...
>
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 3:25 PM, Elliott Hird <
> penguinofthegods@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > On 15 Jan 2009, at 19:52, M P Darke wrote:
> >
> > I would like to add the following paragraph to the Laws of Grey:
> >>

> > That's nice
>

> ehird, geez.
>
> Anyway, I guess he means you should either "intend" to do stuff or "do"
> stuff, depending which is appropriate in your situation (not sure what the
> laws of grey call for). Sort of like "submitting" proposals rather than
> "suggesting" changes. Otherwise, we get this slippery slope where all sorts
> of language might ridiculously be considered to constitute an action (see
> e.g. "Watcher WoodsPam" in Agora:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/agora-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg16159.html).
>
> I stab Wooble.
> I attempt to stab Wooble. (we generally allow this, usually treating it like
> "I stab Wooble if that's possible right now")
> ------
> I'd like to stab Wooble.
> I think I'll stab Wooble in a bit.
> Perhaps someone should stab Wooble. Me?
> Stabbing Wooble would be great.
> Wooble needs a good stabbing.
> Bla bla bla Wooble. Bla bla bla Stab.
>
> etc. etc. if we start treating things like I'd like to stab Wooble a
> equivalent to I stab Wooble, where do we draw the line?
>
> Incidentally, I've only now realized how good it sounds when you say
> "Wooble" out loud.

He should say:

"I intend, with the consent of all Loyal Inhabitants of Grey, to add the following to the Laws of Grey:"

"intend" shows that you will do it if it becomes possible (when the right amount of consent is achieved); this invites players to support or object actions.