comex on Mon, 29 Dec 2008 19:56:09 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Laser sharpener

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 5:33 PM, Alex Smith <ais523@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Nice scam, but I think this is where it falls down. The Laws themselves
> have no power to change the gamestate in general; therefore, they aren't
> aiding you in doing so. In other words, your attempt to change the Pause
> works if and only if you could change the Pause simply by announcing it
> (the fact that a colour's Laws mention something apparently pertinent is
> irrelevant, as either the Laws are making the change or you are); in
> other words, iff my dictatorship worked. On the other hand, my
> dictatorship fixed the loophole behind it, so it doesn't work even if my
> dictatorship did.

No, the Laws are giving me the ability (but not permission) to do
stuff with the laser sharpener; Rule 5E48 recognizes this
ability-grant and applies it.  The Laws are not doing anything
themselves.  I couldn't amend the Laws to say 'One second after this
amendment is enacted, the Rules are amended s.t.'... it wouldn't work.
 I have to personally trigger the Pause-change using the laser
sharpener.