Ed Murphy on Sun, 21 Dec 2008 10:42:24 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Tweak: Fix Retractions.

Billy Pilgrim wrote:

> yeah i'm pretty sure that's only pedantically broken. plus i'd much rather a
> fix that just allowed for both may and can (and potentially others) rather
> than changed all to may. if we rely on only may, we'll slip up sometime for
> sure. that said, no harm in this tweak!

I was going to sit on this until next nweek, but may as well float it
now, I suppose.

Proto-Proposal:  RFC 2119 comes to B Nomic

Create a Rule titled "Requirement Levels" with this text:

      The following terms, when written in all caps, are defined as
      follows:

        * CAN and CANNOT pertain to possibility; impossible events
          do not occur.

        * MAY, MUST, SHALL and SHALL NOT pertain to legality; illegal
          events are generally punishable if they occur.

/* todo: amend each Essential rule to follow the new standard */