Jamie Dallaire on Wed, 17 Dec 2008 09:04:04 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Consultations on the Pencil Sharpener

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 10:31 AM, Roger Hicks <pidgepot@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 15:58, Craig Daniel <teucer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > {Question: Are the answers to Pondered Consultations correct, after
> > the Consultations become Pondered?
> > Unbeliever: ehird
> > Arguments: if not, then what the fuck is the point of Consultations?
>

>  In 4th era it was changed to create the Oracularity system
> which allowed Priests the opportunity to implement the changes
> effected by their answer and reasoning. However, this appears to have
> been stripped out of the rule since I left B several months back. A
> shame if you ask me because (at least for those players who understood
> it) it worked rather nicely.

I thought so too. Why did we ever get rid of those?

Also, how can we work in some rule change that would make consultation
answers true? Without a) ratifying gamestate when proposals are pondered or
b) bending reality to fit bad answers.

Obviously it's entirely possible for a Priest to submit a completely
ludicrous answer, and for no one to declare it inconsistent. It then gets
pondered. So we have to allow for answers to be WRONG some of the time.

Proto: perhaps the rules should specify that pondered consultation answers
reflect the general opinion of B Players, and that gamestate should be
considered to be whatever is in line with the most recent pondered answers.
(So if a Consultation says the Clock DID start, then we play the game where
the clock DID start). But that kind of wording would also allow for the
answer to be wrong (if the players are wrong) and its effects potentially
erased if a new consultation on the matter is pondered otherwise.

So basically, gamestate quandaries could be resolved by listening to
consultation answers, but those answers would not change gamestate per se.
Just cast light on what gamestate actually is according to general player
consensus.

Does that sound reasonable?

BP