Jamie Dallaire on Mon, 15 Dec 2008 10:38:32 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Proposal: Enforce Fines

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 12:16 PM, Elliott Hird <
penguinofthegods@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 15 Dec 2008, at 17:11, Jamie Dallaire wrote:
>
>  we can, but that is a really long process. from the time an individual is
>> convicted and given a fine, it would take 4 ndays of waiting to see
>> whether
>> or not e pays the fine within a jiffy, then a minimum of 4 more ndays of
>> consulting to affirm that indeed, e did not pay the fine within a jiffy,
>> thus we should throw em in jail.
>>
>> That's 8 ndays if we're really efficient. That essentially means that
>> anyone
>> convicted at the start of the nweek can effectively delay payment and stay
>> our of jail until the start of the next voting period. We should have a
>> more
>> responsive mechanism than this.
>>

> The jail for not paying a fine should be very long - a month or so? - so
> that
> the incentive for paying off a fine is great.

Hmmm that is an option.

I still think slapping offenders into jail immediately is simpler and more
effective. That said, there's one potential problem I can see with that. And
it depends on:

When is the list of eligible voters for a proposal vote determined? When the
proposal is submitted? When the voting period begins? When the voting period
ends? Is it constantly in flux depending on whether people's status as
Bums/Prisoners/Dead changes? I'm not really clear on that.

The one potential problem with my proposal, then, is that if a Consultation
is pondered, making someone a Prisoner, at the same instant that eligible
voters are determined (both presumably happen at an nday boundary), then
even an upstanding rapid payer of fines can't get onto the list of voters.
Hmmmm, actually....

nevermind. Judgment is Rule 5E36, a higher number than any of the rules
dealing with voting or proposals. So if they happen at the same time, a
player is bound to become a Prisoner AFTER the eligible voters list is drawn
up.

BP