Jamie Dallaire on Sun, 14 Dec 2008 10:57:38 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Proposal: The Oracle is Wise

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 8:06 AM, Elliott Hird <
penguinofthegods@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If an ally to a scam gets assigned, then it'll be INCONSISTENT, almost
> certainly.

Note that this argument applies with equal force whether or not the Oracle
is allowed to designate a Priest of eir choosing.

However, I would argue that:
a) multiple declarations of inconsistency take a long time, and delay
progress especially when the question at hand is crucial to the game.
b) we are a lazy B, and declare answers to be inconsistent more infrequently
than we should.

Given a, it would be advantageous to rely on an Oracle who can distribute
Consultations in a manner that avoids obvious conflicts of interest (not to
mention obstructionists and players who are active/ordained in name only),
rather than rely on an unintelligent random assignment mechanism.

Given b, it would be a bad idea to pass my proposal if we are to allow
corrupt schemesters to hold the MoQ. It would be a good idea to pass my
proposal if we are to entrust control of the MoQ to Players who can be
expected to remain impartial.

This may have been a bad idea when anyone with a little mack could dethrone
any other minister in an instant. This is no longer the case. A Minister can
presently only be removed from eir post if e fails to fulfill eir duties or
loses an election. As long as B avoids electing careless/incompetent/corrupt
ministers (I know, that's difficult!), there shouldn't be a problem here.
But there should be advantages.

Billy Pilgrim