Ed Murphy on Sun, 7 Dec 2008 22:43:51 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] ais523's Refresh Proposal

ais523 wrote:

> In rule 5e11, before "A rule may give a different timespan for the
> action to be resolved.", add "If no players have Objected to the action,
> and at least 5 players have Supported the action, it can alternatively
> be taken between 3 and 5 rdays after the intent was announced; players
> should refrain from relying on this mechanism except to avoid ambiguity
> or to fix bugs in ntime." /* 3 to 5 rdays will often match 2 to 4 ndays;
> this lets us Tweak the clock on if necessary or fix other ntime-related
> bugs without an Emergency. We need a second non-ntime-related system as
> a backup for clock crises... */

> In rule 5e14, replace:
> {{
> If the nday would be set to a value greater than 12, instead it is set
> to 1, the nweek is incremented by 1, and the Clock becomes Off.
>
> At the beginning of each Voting Period, the Clock becomes Off, and until
> the Clock next becomes On, the Chairman may as a Game Action change the
> clock to be On, provided he has first published a Ballot.
>
> The Clock may be changed from On to Off as a Game Action by the MoM.
>
> If the Clock is Off, there are no Vacant Ministries and there are no
> outstanding Ministerial obligations, the MoM is obligated to turn the
> Clock On. When the Clock is turned On, the ndelay is set to zero.
> }}
> with
> {{
> The Clock can be turned On or Off by any player as a game action;
> however, doing so is a violation of the rules unless the rules
> specifically state that it isn't. It can also be turned On or Off
> automatically by the rules.
>
> If the nday would be set to a value greater than 12, instead it is set
> to 1, the nweek is incremented by 1, and the Clock becomes Off.
>
> At the beginning of each Voting Period, the Clock becomes Off, and until
> the Clock next becomes On, the Chairman does not violate the rules by
> changing the clock to be On, provided he has first published a Ballot.
>
> The MoM does not violate the rules by changing the clock from On to Off.
>
> If the Clock is Off, there are no Vacant Ministries and there are no
> outstanding Ministerial obligations, the MoM is obligated to turn the
> Clock On, and fulfilling this obligation does not violate the rules.
>
> Whenever the Clock is turned On, the ndelay is set to zero.
> }}
> /* A big change, which I think is important; if a different RP wins,
> I'll try to do this by proposal. Make sure we know the state of the
> clock, always; and that we can turn it on, always. The Clock's just too
> important to leave to chance. */

I'm leaving these alone.  I understand the theory behind the Clock, but
don't have enough practical experience to have a good feel for what
makes for a good approach.

> In rule 5e49, replace "There is a Ministry called the Ministry of
> Warfare, responsible for keeping track of Weapons and their attributes."
> with "There is a Ministry called the Ministry of Warfare, responsible
> for keeping track of Weapons and their attributes, and the Health of
> Players.". /* Someone needs to track this! */

The Registrar tracks all attributes of Players.  (I still think this
should be split up, but that can be addressed via regular proposal.)