Jamie Dallaire on Thu, 27 Nov 2008 16:13:04 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] Refresh TODO list

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 5:48 PM, Elliott Hird <
penguinofthegods@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 27 Nov 2008, at 22:40, Ed Murphy wrote:
>
> > Your way is schizophrenic.  I would simultaneously be an External
> > Force
> > (not a Game Object) and an Outsider (a Game Object).
> >

> An External Force is not a Game Object? ding wrong! There is nothing
> that
> forbids that being true. just because you'd exist without the game
> doesn't
> make you not part of the game.

The whole problem with that and then us trying to separate External Forces
and Outsiders was the whole brushing-one's-teeth issue... If you're a game
object and (4E4) game objects can't be changed in any manner not explicitly
covered by the rules, then how can you go about your daily life without
flaunting the rules of b nomic? Note that I'm not saying a nomic's not
allowed to go define me as a game object, just that doing that detaches the
nomic from reality. There's obviously no way any of us would refrain from
eating if the rules didn't say we could.

I like Murphy's idea about entities.

I also think one avenue would be to reunite external forces/outsiders as one
concept, along with the rest of the game objects, but change a 4e4-style
rule to specify that game objects can't be changed if not allowed by the
rules EXCEPT where the changes do not impact gamestate. I think that sounds
realistic, except that there has to be some disclaimer on this to prevent
things like:

At 5pm tomorrow, I submit the following Transaction: {Wooble has brushed his
teeth in the last 24h. I Stab Wooble.}

I agree to the following Contract: {Whenever Wooble brushes his teeth, I am
obliged to Stab ehird.}

All of a sudden teeth-brushing affects gamestate... Boo. Any way to fix what
I just proposed?

BP