Jamie Dallaire on Thu, 30 Oct 2008 10:43:56 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Minsky, Inc: the public-access contract-programmable counter machine!

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Craig Daniel <teucer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Minsky, Inc. may take no game actions except for joining Contracts and
> >> performing game actions required of it by Contracts to which it is a
> >> party (potentially including this one).
> >

> >> As a
> >> game action, Minsky, Inc. may (if not prohibited from doing so by any
> >> part of this Contract) create or destroy any specified number of
> >> Tallies;
> >

> > The first part effectively prohibits the second part, which I don't think
> > was your intention. (The second part only says that messing with tallies
> is
> > permissible (and potentially can be prohibited), while the first part
> > prohibits anything that is not obligatory. permissible not= obligatory)
>
> Yep. It can't be arbitrarily altered; it has to be given a program.
> You write those in the form of programs that make it obligatory for
> Minsky, Inc. to take certain game actions, suddenly, it can and does.

I'm getting confused. Where do the programs enter into or interact with
Minsky Inc? Where are they referred to in this contract? Obviously I need to
go lookup a much better understanding of Turing completeness than I have
now...

But what I meant here was, regardless of the programs, that destroying
tallies can't happen since Minsky may destroy tallies if not forbidden, but
another part of the contract forbids acts that aren't obligatory. But I
realize my object was off, since nearer the end of the contract there
actually IS an obligation for Minksy to destroy those tallies.

BP