Jamie Dallaire on Sat, 18 Oct 2008 23:12:08 -0700 (MST)

[s-d] On the number of Game Objects

Question for anyone/everyone:

CAN we actually know (now that we've excluded any that were outside the
game) precisely how many Game Objects there currently are within B Nomic?
Would it be possible to draw up an exhaustive list? Or is it likely that
there are currently a bunch of Game Objects floating around that no one
remembers? Or are there any unresolved issues of scale (e.g. given that
everything within the game is a game object, at what resolution is this
concept an actual unit? A Game Document is a Game Object. Is a paragraph
within a Game document a game object? Is a set of game documents a game
object? etc.)?

I ask because I'm thinking about proposing a epidemiological-ish mechanism
whereby game objects become contaminated (and with some probability,
destroyed) and the infection spreads between game objects. Players have the
power (at a cost) to clean up some of the contagion to protect important
sectors of the game, or sectors of it that are important to them. The issue
I'm struggling with is whether or not I should constrain the pool of
potentially-contaminable objects, and if so how.

BP