Jamie Dallaire on Fri, 17 Oct 2008 22:12:00 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] If we're going to keep taking game actions through the emergency...

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 1:08 AM, Jamie Dallaire <bad.leprechaun@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 10:34 PM, Craig Daniel <teucer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 10:19 PM, Jamie Dallaire
>> <bad.leprechaun@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> proposal

>> > Then this contract needs to be changed somehow before I ever agree to
>> join
>> > it. It would be ridiculous if someone were to change their platform at
>> the
>> > end of the voting period, resulting in other parties not fulfilling
>> their
>> > obligations simply because they weren't present in that short time
>> window
>> > before the end of nday 12. This has potential for infinitely short time
>> > windows.
>>
>> As the only party I will happily not object to me changing it, if you
>> have a suggestion.
>

> First thing that comes to mind would be to make vote obligations contingent
> upon the state of parties' platforms at the start of nday 11 or so. Gives
> everyone time to set up their platforms as they wish. New parties who join
> during the voting period but after nday 11 just don't count for the nweek's
> voting.

>> obligate

>> > Are you saying that an Oracularity would change someone's votes? I
>> really
>> > don't think that would/should happen, since obligations are not ironclad
>> > rules. I can't break a rule, but I can definitely choose not to fulfill
>> an
>> > obligation.
>>
>> If a contract obligates you to act in some way, you do so. If you
>> fail, a Consultation may result in you being made to have done so.
>

> I've never interpreted "equitably rectifying the breach" in this way...
> I've always supposed it meant one party would be made to pay the other some
> sort of damages. I figure you should be allowed to break the obligations of
> a contract if you want (just like the obligations to a ministry, e.g.) but
> of course you'd be heavily penalized/the other party compensated. The breach
> and the penalty do not have to be of the same kind, though, I think. A
> contract is just a promise, really, and those can be broken. I just think
> that, otherwise, Contracts become WAY too easy to abuse. If j, 0x44, and I
> decided to make some modifications to Black Corporation while Tyler was
> away, should we be able to enslave him and control his Game Actions? That's
> just my interpretation though, and as far as I remember we haven't had much
> in the way of contract breaches being consulted upon yet. How do others see
> it???

Forgot to add: maybe it would be a good idea for Contracts to stipulate the
mutually agreed upon consequences for different types of breach. For a good
model, see Wooble's secret society proposed in Agora today:
http://www.agoranomic.org/cgi-bin/mailman/private/agora-business/2008-October/014813.html

BP