Jamie Dallaire on Sat, 16 Aug 2008 16:17:36 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] replies

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 6:20 PM, Tyler Coleman <wisety@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yeah, this game looks like fun. To reply to a few things:
>
> No, my name isn't meant to be pronounced in French. Never heard that one
> before.

Learn something everyday :D Usually spelled Ti-Guy, it's a common nicknamed
for anyone named Guy or Guillaume, meaning essentially Lil Guy. Without the
whole semantic meaning of the english "guy"...

> Yeah, I know it's perpetually deslumping. But also I kinda interpreted the
> Jolly Roger to mean that the game is slowing down, losing interest. What
> does that flag signify, exactly?

The flag is meant to signal imminent danger to the game of B Nomic. To its
structural integrity, essentially. This is threatened alot and often, as you
will soon discover (no doubt). It grades from Pink Ponies (all is well) to I
forget which flag, which is reserved for official emergencies (again, you'll
see soon enough). The flag is seldom used other than changing automatically
when states of emergency are entered/left. The flag grade used to be
dependent on how many people were paranoid, but I think that's gone (can't
access the rules right now, so I don't know).

> Charles, you're just as quick as I'd expect, considering the number of
> ministries you head. When I saw your fix, I thought I had just overlooked
> it, and I felt a fool until I saw your message. (see message 9, Aug 16,
> since I haven't yet figured out how to quote to just one message out of the
> whole Digest.) By the way, don't you think the rules ought to have some
> kind
> of definite, default heirarchy, like by rule number? Right now they are all
> equal, so if a rule is passed that conflicts with another, what recourse do
> we have to solve the paradox?

I believe that's covered by the "Rule Powers and Precedence" rule, whose
number I can't remember. But you're right in that pretty much all the rules
save for one or two have the same power. If I'm not mistaken though (again,
can't see the rules right now), there is a clause in there about rule number
mattering in case of equal power, right? E.g. Rule 33 would trump Rule 52 if
they conflicted and had identical power. I think. Thing I was wondering
about, recently, however, in terms of both rule precedence and the temporal
order of events, is how things synch up when, for example, a rule
contradicts itself in 2 different sections. Could happen with piece-by-piece
modifications of massive rules like the Proposals one. There was also a bit
about temporal precedence in that some rule says that XYZ occurs when ABC
occurs, and the occurence of ABC is provided by a different rule with a
lower number. Since rule number plays a role in the order that things happen
when they're all otherwise simultaneous (e.g. end of an nweek), does that
mean XYZ would occur immediately after ABC and before another supposed event
MNO that was defined by an intermediately-numbered rule? Or would it go ABC
- MNO - XYZ? IIRC it doesn't actually matter right now, though...

> Thanks Hose, for my account. I just put up my own 'image' page, under
> Players. Watch out for your ministries, folks!

New Player, I've been watching you, and I must say, I'm impressed. How'd you
like to be Black Corporation's newest member? PS: if you haven't seen the
Armed Gunman skit from the Onion Movie (
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2kEqly9nDU), watch it to catch the
reference...

Billy Pilgrim