Jamie Dallaire on Wed, 14 May 2008 15:52:52 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Tweak: Chess and Priority, Preventing Headache

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 6:31 PM, Roger Hicks <pidgepot@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The more I think about it moving pieces by priority number is the only
> truly fair way to run B-Chess. Otherwise serious advantage is given to
> players who are quickest to respond to the MoP's turn of the
> field...which seems very un-chess-like.

That is true. And I think the priority list does make for a more strategicg
game. But could we retro-simulate at least until right now or the last turn
of the field or what have you, without changing the rule?

The reason I ask is because I think all the moves actually happened as they
were submitted thus far into the game (Codae, you were MoP, is this the way
it happened?). Certainly, the whole priority list business had eluded me
completely and I never noticed any irregularities in ordering of actions.

Also, I am trying to figure out how the actual ordering of moves should
occur in this field match:

Is "purchase" an invokable action of the field itself, or of a field object?
It doesn't seem to be specified, though its placement in the field match
seems to indicate it's an action of the field.

If its of the field, then all purchases occur before any Checkmate, and all
of this before any moves are made (which seems silly in itself, since this
means the field has to be turned twice once the next-to-last king has been
taken in order for checkmate to occur) for a given turn.

If its of the field object, and only one action per object per turn may be
taken (as specified in the field match), then it's impossible to purchase
and move an object on the same turn. And I'm pretty sure we've been
purchasing and moving on the same turn in the past.

So, if we've not quite been following the rules we might as well retro-sim
to ratify the gamestate as currently displayed, OR restart the game with
proper rules (in which case I think we should a- refund all purchases and b-
force players who want to play to join, so we don't end up with a horde of
kings).

What do you think?

BP