Jamie Dallaire on Mon, 11 Feb 2008 20:50:56 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] New Contract

On 2/11/08, Mike McGann <mike.mcgann@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm not a fan of this whole "have a question answered paradox and you
> win" thing but I am a fan of using ambiguous and contradictory rules
> to try to do silly stuff. To be honest, I don't even know what would
> be considered a true paradox. Does a direct contradiction in the rules
> qualify? What does "these two answers can be potentially be logically
> correct" really mean? Pure logic like this isn't my thing.

There is not much in the rules as far as I know that really guides what is
to be considered a true paradox. The answer of paradox is just there and
available, and we know it can lead to victory, but that's all it is,
PARADOX. The only other guide in the rules might be the synonyms for paradox
in the justice system rule, and the part about NEITHER being potentially
logically correct.

On that basis I guess a direct contradiction in the rules does qualify (as
long as there is no established mode of precedence!) in there neither yes
nor no would be 100% logical as an answer (as in the case of your x/y
business below). Each answer would be directly contradicted by a rule, and
both rules would have equal strength. The precedence proposal that is
pending right now could avoid a lot of those "easy" type paradoxe, I think.

 Isn't the
> point of the justice system to fix these problems when they arise? Why
> would a priest have any incentive to even answer with paradox? You
> could simply say yes or no and submit an oracularity to coincide with
> the answer.

Yeah, you are right. There's no incentive other than to recognize that
another player has detected an actual paradox and allow him the win.

Example: Let's say there is a rule that states "X can do Y" and
> another rules states "X cannot do Y" and a consultation of "Can X do
> Y?". You could answer Yes and submit the oracularity "Remove the text
> 'X cannot do Y'". You could answer No and submit the oracularity
> "Remove the text 'X can do Y'". You could also answer Undecidable and
> submit either of the two oracularities.

Indeed.

Billy Pilgrim