0x44 on Wed, 9 Jan 2008 02:15:46 +0100 (CET)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Mackerel Transfer

Mike McGann wrote:
> On Jan 8, 2008 7:23 PM, 0x44 <bnomic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> When you withdraw $20.00 from your bank account, your balance neither
>> goes up nor down. Your account is deducted $20.00, and your balance
>> reflects that deduction.
>>

> I don't agree with this argument at all. People say balances goes up and
> down all the time and there is no confusion about it.
Lay-persons say so, but neither accountants nor bankers do. As I stated
in a response to Billy Pilgrim, the English language allows a house to
burn up and down identically, obviously there is no innate idiomatic
meaning that is unambiguous in the choice of "Up" or "Down".

0x44;