Mike McGann on Wed, 9 Jan 2008 01:21:30 +0100 (CET)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Mackerel Transfer

On Jan 8, 2008 6:54 PM, 0x44 <bnomic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm certainly willing to concede the point, if you can point out where
> in the rules "UP" and "DOWN" are defined.

I would agree that the negative transfer would be valid if it said "is
added" and "is subtracted" but I don't agree it is valid because it says ot
"goes down" and "goes up". If I take $20 out of the ATM, saying my balance
went up by -$20 doesn't make sense because it didn't go up. Climbing up a
hill -20 meters doesn't make sense either. Equating standard colloquial use
of numerical direction to abstract mathematics isn't fair here.

"UP" and "DOWN" aren't defined by the rules so standard English definitions
should (and must) be used unless we are going to be like Bill Clinton and
argue over what the definition of "is" is.

- Hose