Geoffrey Spear on Thu, 3 Jan 2008 11:28:19 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Consultation assignment

On Jan 3, 2008 1:12 PM, Jamie Dallaire <bad.leprechaun@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 1/2/08, Justin Ahmann <quesmarktion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:
> >
> > {{
> > Is 0x44 the Ministry of Ministry as of the time this Consultation was
> > submitted?
> > }}
> >
> > [[MoQ commentary: a Player is not a Ministry]]
> >
> > This is Consultation 84.  I assign it to Priest Billy Pilgrim.
>

> Answer: No.
>
> Reasoning:
> {
> Players and Ministries are distinct types of Game Objects.
>
> If the Supplicant is asking whether 0x44 is/was the Minister of Ministry,
> the Answer is still No. According to Rule 50 (Public Displays), the Ministry
> of Ministry was given the obligation to update the public display of
> ministerial responsibilities (Rule 51 - The MetaMin) at the end of nweek
> 135, when certain Proposals passed, altering some ministerial
> responsibilities (such as the Proposal that created the Ministry of Play).
> 0x44 assigned the Ministry of Ministry to himself during nday 1 of nweek
> 136, thus taking this obligation upon himself.
>
> Though the Public Display of existing Ministries and their current holders
> was accurate, to the best of 0x44's knowledge (no one had yet challenged
> the inclusion of the Ministry of Society or of the Retainer), no Public
> Display of ministerial responsibilities was forthcoming. It could be argued
> that the Rules themselves, accurately updated by MoL Hose, constitute a
> Public Display of ministerial responsibilities. The answer to the question
> of whether 0x44 was, at the time of the submission of this consultation, the
> Minister of Ministry, hinges on the definition of a Public Display. Rule 50
> defines a Public Display as "a display of an aspect of the current state of
> the game in a form easily accessible to all Players". It is the Priest's
> opinion that the Rules do not show ministerial obligations in a form easily
> accessible to all Players, as such obligations are listed neither neatly nor
> in an orderly fashion. An (outdated) example of an effective Public Display
> of ministerial responsibilities can be found at
> http://b.nomic.net/index.php?title=User:Hose/Mininstry_Duties&oldid=4803.
>
> Rule 53 (Ministerial Obligations) states that a Ministry is automatically
> vacated if its Minister has not fulfilled his obligations within a Jiffy,
> which is a duration of 4 rdays (Rule 30 - Official Quantities). According to
> the Durations section of Rule 14 (NTime), a period of 4 rdays ends after 4
> successive occurrences of midnight UTC. 0x44 contracted obligations on nday
> 1 which were not fulfilled by the start of nday 5, at which point a Jiffy
> had elapsed. This consultation was submitted during nday 5, during which
> Wooble also assigned the Ministry of Ministry to himself, effectively
> becoming its minister.
>
> Note the difficulty in dealing with durations: A reading of Rule 14 shows
> [...]

That's a lot of Reasoning in response to the question I didn't actually ask.

Any opinions on whether the Consultation should be resubmitted to
actually ask the question that was answered, or can I just assume the
mini-Registrar's Public Display will reflect my Score as it would be
if this was the Answer to my actual Question and hope that the quantum
state of my score is finally collapsed sometime in the near future by
the ratification of that Display?
--
Geoffrey Spear
http://www.geoffreyspear.com/