William P. Berard on Fri, 14 Dec 2007 12:59:16 -0700 (MST)

[s-d] Critical consultations (Was Re: [s-b] My RP: Set everything. )

Le 14 déc. 07, à 17:13, Daniel Lepage a écrit :

> On Dec 14, 2007, at 11:34 AM, Roger Hicks wrote:
>
>> On 12/14/07, Daniel Lepage <dplepage@xxxxxxxxx> wrote
>
>> The invalidity system I set up with the last RP really has nothing to
>> do with the nature or duration of consultations. It's purpose was to
>> maintain a defined gamestate during them. Sure, ambiguities need to be
>> solved by consultation, and I agree that it takes time...not only for
>> the judicial system to process it through, but for players to make
>> comments and arguments for and against their positions. However, the
>> problem arises when the gamestate is undetermined during this time
>> window. Spending 4-7 days in a quantum state waiting for an answered
>> consultation to become pondered is problematic. It either paralyzes
>> the game (because everyone is unsure what actions will be valid) or in
>> the most recent case leads to an undeterminable gamestate (because
>> everyone goes ahead and takes actions that may have questionable
>> validity without waiting for the answer).
>
> Waiting in an undeterminable state is bad, but waiting in an illegal
> state is worse. Your system simply chooses an answer to the
> Consultation and behaves as though it were true, with the result that
> when the Consultation comes in, we may find that the last seven days
> worth of actions were completely illegal. I would prefer an indefinite
> gamestate to an illegal one.
>
> If the issue really does "paralyze" the game, then we should have an
> Emergency, because that stops game time, and obviously game time can't
> keep going if a consultation is paralyzing it.
>
> In fact, one could make a good case that every Consultation should
> stop game time until it's decided. The only reason not to is that
> there are so many frivolous Consultations.

How about (i should perhaps sumbit this as a proto-module for an RP if
anyone is inclined to include this) players being able to flag their
consultations as "critical" (or some other flag), and if they get, say,
2 or 3 support (something alike to 3 or 4 panic buttons being
activated/hit/turned on), then the clock stops and the game is
supsended until the consultation is answered (and its contestation of
consistency possibly resolved) after which it becomes pondered and the
game resumes?

thet would give us a sort of middle ground, a soft emergency, between
the regular consultation type (needs one player to be submitted, and
does not stop gameplay) and a full blown emergency (needs at least 4
PEP to be triggered, and stops the game for a fixed, unalterable, and
,arguably, quite lenghty, period of time)

My reasoning behind this is that if this type of tool existed, both
recent panic could have been solved in an elegant fashion and a short
time with it. Hopefully.