Daniel Lepage on Mon, 10 Dec 2007 18:51:05 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] Not a Proposal: Dependence Day

On Dec 10, 2007, at 8:22 PM, Mike McGann wrote:

> On Dec 10, 2007 7:01 PM, comex <comexk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Repeal Rule 2-9 (Supporting).
>> Amend Rule 2-8 (Objecting) by retitling it "Dependent Actions" and
>> replacing the entire text with:
>> {{{
>> A Game Action is dependent when it is performed without N (default 1)
>> objections and/or with M (default 1) supporters.
>>
>> Any entity (the Actor) that is permitted to take the Game Action
>> dependently may, as a Game Action, Appeal to the Crowd on the
>> dependent
>> action.
>>
>> Then, e may Resolve the action as a Game Action, thereby performing
>> it,
>> if:
>> * e had Appealed to the Crowd on the action less than ten rdays
>> ago, and
>> * if the action is performed without N objections, then:
>> :* at least two rdays have passed since e Appealed, and
>> :* N players other than the Actor have not as a Game Action
>> Objected to
>> the
>> action; and
>> * if the action is performed with M supporters, then:
>> :* M players other than the Actor have as a Game Action Supported the
>> action.
>> }}}
>>

> I'm confused by this.

Suppose a rule says "Any player may Distim a Dosh with 2 support and
without 3 objections".

Then you can, at any time, Appeal to the Crowd to let you Distim a Dosh.

You may then Distim a Dosh as soon as all of the following are true:
  * No more than 10 days have passed since you Appealed
  * At least 2 days have passed since your Appeal
  * Fewer than 3 people have Objected to your action
  * At least 2 people have Supported your action

It's just like the current system, except that instead of stating that
you do X and then having it resolve when objections and support are
resolved, you state that you intend to do X, and then can do once
objections and support are taken care of.

>> Create the following Rule, titled "Tweaks":
>> {{{
>> Any player may, as a Game Action with 3 supporters and without
>> objection,
>> change the gamestate in any way.
>>
>> /* This is not as foolproof as Emergency.  Tweaks should be used to
>> avoid
>> Emergency only when the playerhood of entities is not in dispute
>> and the
>> problem to be rectified has a trivial patch. */
>> }}}
>

> Too dangerous.

I disagree. We had these a while ago and they worked quite well. In
fact, for a while they *were* the Emergency Backup Procedure - in case
of emergency, we just all needed to agree on a change and Tweak it
through.

--
Wonko