Daniel Lepage on Mon, 10 Dec 2007 11:38:06 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] We didn't panic then, so we have to panic now.

On Dec 10, 2007, at 12:48 PM, Roger Hicks wrote:

> On Dec 10, 2007 9:56 AM, Daniel Lepage <dplepage@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> "Pressing", "activating", "switching", and "pushing" aren't Game
>> Actions and don't have any effect.
>>
> I think we should accept these as reasonable synonyms. We don't
> require exact terminology for taking any other actions, why this one?
> It would also make things far simpler than attempting to reconstruct
> the past two weeks of game history.

"Hitting" and "Activating" aren't the same thing. In fact, if you had
a physical toggle switch, hitting it would in fact toggle it, not
always activate it.

I'd still be ok with synonyms if the rule said that a player could hit
eir panic button. But it actually says explicitly:
"A PEP may post a message to a Public Forum ... stating that he is
Hitting his Panic Button. If he does so, his Panic Button becomes On."

"Hitting your Panic Button" isn't even a Game Action - it doesn't say
"Any player may Hit his Panic Button". What it actually says is that
if a player sends a message that declares that that player is Hitting
his Panic Button, then this causes that player's Panic Button to
become On. So in fact, we CANNOT turn on our Panic Buttons ourselves.
All we can do is post a message to the forum that causes rule 0 to
make our Panic Buttons turn on.

Not only does it spell out exactly what you're supposed to state, it
even capitalizes the word "Hitting", which is how we usually denote
keywords.

I'm not defending this - we ought to rewrite r0. But that's what it
says at the moment.

--
Wonko