Jamie Dallaire on Mon, 10 Dec 2007 10:33:56 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Panic!

On Dec 10, 2007 12:16 PM, Ed Murphy <emurphy42@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ugh.  Rule 0 doesn't explicitly require the use of any particular
> wording.  In the interest of avoiding unnecessary panic, can we
> agree to interpret the various synonyms as whichever of the following
> they were clearly meant to equate to, at least for past actions?
>
>   1) "I hit my Panic Button"
>   2) "I stop my Panic Button"
>   3) "If my Panic Button is Off, then I hit my Panic Button,
>       otherwise I stop my Panic Button"

Yes, I think we can. By Wonko's logic, and by the exact wording of Rule
1-10, most of the game actions acknowledged as having taken place in the
game of B Nomic never took place.

: Game Actions

A Game Action is defined as any activity specified by the rules to be a Game
Action. Other Outsiders may also take Game Actions if explicitly permitted
by the rules. To perform a Game Action, an Outsider must post a message to a
Public Forum specifying that he is taking that action.

Players often write that they are performing (not taking) a certain game
action, or say "As a Game Action, I xyz". I don't see any problem with that
and neither has anyone else so far, it seems.

Wonko's literalist interpretation would force everyone to essentially write
like robots, and I think the rules of the game were intended to make it
playable for sentient beings.

Billy Pilgrim