Mike McGann on Tue, 4 Dec 2007 05:21:24 +0100 (CET)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Proposal: Use Sequential Rule Numbers

On Dec 3, 2007 4:28 PM, Roger Hicks <pidgepot@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Rules are Game Documents that define how this game is played. Each
> Rule may have a Name and a Number. Whenever a new rule is created it
> is given the next highest sequential number that has not yet been used
> for a rule.

How about "Each Rule must have a number and may have a name" to make
sure a rule always has a number.

And how about changing the last sentence to something along the lines
of "Rules are numbered from a set that initially contains all positive
integers. When a Rule is created, it is assigned the lowest number
from the set and then that number is removed from the set." This gives
a certain permanence to the numbering mechanism. If a new rule is
created, then immediately repealed, would the next rule be reassigned
that number? A repealed rule doesn't leave any artifacts behind. Also
the "next highest sequential number" could be contested. I made it
one-based but if you really want it to be zero-based, that's fine.

> Rules may be contained in named Sections.
> The Rulekeeper may, as a Game Action, do any of the following:
>
>     * Create a Section.
>     * Remove a Section, causing all Rules in that section to no longer
> be contained by a Section.
>     * Move a Rule into or out of a Section.
> }}

How about just removing this part and have sections be administrative
units outside of the game? If it is part of the game, people may
target sections by number which may change over time.

> One second after the adoption of this proposal, each rule in the
> ruleset is renumbered. Beginning with rule 0, and continuing
> sequentially by section number and then by rule number, each rule is
> re-assigned a new sequential integer number beginning with the number
> 0.

I know it may be a pain, but how about listing all the changes
explicitly to be absolutely safe.

> Then the text of all rules is amended so that any rule which refers
> to another rule by number now refers to the new number for that rule.

I just checked and no rule references another rule by number except
for Rule 3-13. Not changing that would awesome.

I think this is important and I will vote FOR if I feel comfortable with it.

- Hose