William Berard on Fri, 30 Nov 2007 17:34:11 +0100 (CET)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Antonio made me do it (Wooble's Refresh Proposal)

On 11/30/07, Antonio Dolcetta <antonio.dolcetta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Geoffrey Spear wrote:
> > I retract my promise that my last Refresh Proposal was the last one I'd
> submit.
> >
> > I retract any Refresh Proposals I've made in the past, and submit the
> > one below.  Screw you, causality!
> >
> > I intend to compile a ballot containing Revised Refresh Proposals and
> > not containing those that are Retracted.
> >
> > If the RP that wins doesn't retroactively make this legal, I intend to
> > submit an ordinary Proposal that would do so by temporarily suspending
> > Rule 3-1 and retroactively making it legal.  In any case, I believe
> > it's in the Spirit of Rule 0, which explicitly states that Refresh
> > Proposals should be discussed in the Emergency Forum that such
> > Discussion should be able to lead to changes in such discussed
> > proposals.
> >

> This is... terrible
> Might as well vote for the proposal that repeals all rules and start
> over fresh than go this way.

I beg to differ. Wooble had no other choice than to amend and alter the rule
of non-retroactivity, since you pointed out that revising and retracting RP
is technically prohibited.

I have to point out that the case you make to argue that no one should be
able to revise nor retract RPs sis based on the assumption that since it is
not explicitely permitted in Rule 0, then it is prohibited. This very point
is being discussed and addressed in many RPs, as, in the current ruleset,
there is no such "Monopoly" ( or is it Prohibition?) rule.

my point here is that, at the bottom line, having an overtight
interpretation of rule 0 and rejecting revisions and retraction of RPs is,
IMHO, against common sense, and, if it was to be enforced, it would have no
effect but increasing the whole mess, since players would have to pick one
of the first batch of RPs, which are likely to be less complete and
satisfactory than the latest revisions, and some issues will still be left
to be fixed afterwards.

So, as Wooble points out, you made him do it :p