Daniel Lepage on Wed, 14 Nov 2007 16:21:51 +0100 (CET)

Re: [s-d] Proposal: Vested Interests

On Nov 14, 2007 9:58 AM, Geoffrey Spear <geoffspear@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Nov 14, 2007 9:46 AM, Daniel Lepage <dplepage@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > So yes, there's a lot of precedent for running the game through
> > scripts, and it's definitely in the best interests of the game for
> > somebody to write them.
>
> Does anyone with the power to actually install mediawiki extensions
> still read the mailing lists/participate in the game?

Well, Joel runs the server, so he has root.

> And should it worry us that the Clock is being maintained by a script
> run by someone who left the game entirely?

Yes.

> Automated infrastructure is all well and good and our current less
> involved stuff seems to be holding up well even without the people
> running it participating, but it could always all vanish pretty
> quickly.

All of the old code systems broke down because they relied on a single
person doing all the coding. I think what we need is a common body of
code with an actual team of programmers in charge of it.

Incidentally, it IS a solvable problem - Nomicron has been running for
several years with the same administrator, and he runs everything
through a bunch of Java scripts, I think. That's scripts written in
Java, not Javascripts.

--
Wonko