Daniel Lepage on Tue, 23 Jan 2007 08:18:31 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] proposal parser

On Jan 23, 2007, at 10:10 AM, Antonio Dolcetta wrote:

>> In the second message, I am in fact amending an existing proposal,
>> but it's *not* the one that already was named "Let There Be Foo". So
>> for a moment, there are two proposals named "Let There Be Foo".
>
> There is no such moment, this happens simultaneously.

"Simultaneously in order", though, and the proposal manager would
presumably do them in order; if it crashes at that point then things
are bad.

> And it is ambiguous even to a human whether you are amending the
> proposal titles or the proposal texts.

It's not ambiguous because I refer to them specifically in terms of
the order they were made. This is important because the first one in
the message is numbered first, and thus has a lower proposal number.

> And in any case you end up with the same ending state (with possibly
> swapped proposal numbers, but that's surely not very important as long
> as they are unique)

Swapping proposal numbers is the whole point. Proposals take effect
in order by number, so if Boxes of Foo are handed out before they
exists, it's not clear what happens. Thus, the order in the original
message is wrong, and the purpose of the swap is to change the order
in which they will happen.

--
Wonko