Daniel Lepage on Tue, 23 Jan 2007 07:16:53 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] proposal parser

On Jan 23, 2007, at 4:36 AM, shadowfirebird@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> What if somebody has two email addresses? Also, nothing currently
>> prohibits two props with the same title; it sounds like this script
>> would foul up in that case.
>
> Nothing prohibits it, but if one person proposes two props with the
> same title the only logical conclusion to draw is that the second is
> an amendment to the first.  The only way to identify a prop is by its
> name, and who sent it.  And the rules say that when I amend a prop I
> just resubmit it - I don't have to explain which prop I'm amending.
> (Actually a prop doesn't have to have a title, which is a bit scary.)

There's no need to draw "logical conclusions" from what is sent in,
because you have to specify whether you're submitting a new prop or
amending an old one (this is by r1-10: "To perform a Game Action, an
Outsider must post a message to a Public Forum specifying that e is
taking that action.").

And I can definitely say:
I submit this proposal, with the title "foobar":
<prop>

I submit a new proposal, also with the title "foobar":
<prop>

> Hmm.  I've just checked the rules and while it's a bit weak I think we
> do have to post to the mailing list when we make a proposal. (Anything
> that happens in the game is a game action, and game actions require
> posting to the list.)

We have to post the mailing list when we make proposals, but nothing
says we can't do that through a script. Think of a proposal handling
script as a sort of special-purpose email client - it's no less legal
to take actions using it than it is to use, say, Eudora, or Outlook.

--
Wonko