Antonio Dolcetta on Mon, 22 Jan 2007 19:02:49 +0100 (CET)

[s-d] proposal parser

Antonio Dolcetta wrote:
> Daniel Lepage wrote:

>>> I just started writing a proposal manager, the idea is you send your
>>> proposal to an email address, it gets parsed and sent to the list, and
>>> also inserted/updated on the wiki
>>> If it works we could also use it for votes etc.
>>> Unfortunatley I am still without a web enabled platform i can call my
>>> own right now, but that should change in the next few weeks.
>> Doesn't that have some security problems? As in, how do you stop
>> players from posing as other players? Also, what sort of syntax will
>> this use?
>>

> Users will have a password, you register sending a special command, and
> a password gets sent back
> further commands must be authenticated using the provided password
> As for the syntax, I'm thinking about it, and open to proposals :D

I've written a very basic (read: horrible) proposal parser.
you start proposals by writing BEGINPROPOSAL and end them with
ENDPROPOSAL, each proposal must have a title, enclosed between
STARTTITLE ENDTITLE
i was wondering if it's really needed to password protect stuff, I could
just read the sender mail address and match that with the latest
proposal with the same title.
if that was from a different address the new one gets discarded.
Yes, i know It's easy to forge mail headers, but we can already do that,
no ?

I was also thinking, instead of having people send proposals to a
special address we could simply subscribe the bot to the mailing list
and have it work automatically, that would be nice.