Joel Uckelman on Fri, 12 Jan 2007 03:37:29 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] 115.1 Administrator's Update

Thus spake Antonio Dolcetta:
> Joel Uckelman wrote:
> > Thus spake "Peter Cooper Jr.":

> >> Hmmm indeed. They weren't on my mail server by the deadline, at least.
> >> Looking at the headers, your message was sent in time, but wasn't
> >> received by charybdis.ellipsis.cx (the mailing list server, I believe)
> >> until 1:33:44 UTC, a couple hours later, and after the deadline.
> >
> > I set up greylisting on charybdis last week. It's possible that these
> > votes were delayed for that reason. In general, this won't delay your
> > mail, since after the first message you'll be a recognized sender, but
> > if comex hasn't sent mail since I set up the greylist, then that would
> > explain the delay.
> >

> I was just asking myself what this header meant:
> 	Thu, 11 Jan 2007 18:33:45 MST
>
> 10513 seconds are almost three hours
> seems like we've found the problem

That must have been comex's first post since greylisting started. I'll
bet if he posts now, it comes through immediately.

BTW, if you run a mail server, I recommend greylisting. The amount of spam
charybdis accetps is now one tenth of what it was before. :)

--
J.