Daniel Lepage on Sun, 17 Dec 2006 07:44:23 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] Spivak Pronouns (was Amended Proposal "Rule Tag")

On Dec 17, 2006, at 7:29 AM, shadowfirebird@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>>> There is no spivak pronoun "ey", though this is a common mistake.
>>> The
>>> word you want is "e", which replaces "he" or "she".
>
> Yes there is, as Personman pointed out.  In fact "Ey" is the newer
> form.
>
> I have a mild preference for Ey because it makes the whole thing a
> no-brainer; just take the "they" form and remove the "th".
>
> While there isn't a rule I'll reserve the right to use Ey, thanks.
> (Just be thankful I don't prefer Sie/Hir/Hirs/Hirself!)
>
> Should there be a rule?  -Why? What would it add to the game?

Hmmm. I hadn't realized spivak had been revised. I prefer 'e' to 'ey'
because it bears greater similarity to he/she; every time I see a
phrase like 'ey is', my first instinct is that it ought to read 'ey
are', which is traditionally what is done when using "they" as a
gender-neutral singular pronoun.

The main reason for mandating the use of spivak pronouns is to
prevent ambiguities (I have played a nomic game where a female player
tried to argue that some rules didn't apply to her because they used
masculine pronouns).

I would like to establish an official way of doing this, if only for
consistency, because I don't want to see rules reading "First e gains
10 points, and then ey loses 2 Charm."

Perhaps it would be better to simply use the masculine, with a
disclaimer noting that as in traditional english it is assumed to
refer to both genders.

Heh... or we could write an extension to the wiki where each user can
select a pronoun set on his/her/eir/their/h*/vis/hir/zer/xyr/zir/
thons preferences page, and when viewing the ruleset all pronouns
would automatically be replaced with the appropriate pronoun set.

--
Wonko