Antonio Dolcetta on Fri, 15 Dec 2006 08:55:45 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] dice server enhancements

Joel Uckelman wrote:
> Thus spake Antonio Dolcetta:
>> I've found the original specification (and an implementation in some
>> obscure academical language) for the Roll language you based bones on.
>> I see that the author has released a new version called Troll.
>> I's not very different but it supports just saying 3d6 instead of 3#d6.
>> Are you planning to upgrade to that ?
>
> I'm not sure that I want to follow Troll in this respect.
>
> 3d6 in Troll doesn't do what you'd expect it to do. What you'll get is
> a list of three rolls, i.e. 3#d6. Usually 3d6 is taken to mean sum(3#d6),
> correct?

you are right but still "sum 3d6" is still a lot more obvious than "sum
3#d6"
the best imho would be having "t" (as times) instead of d as the normal
die roll operator (as there's no point in using "d" if it will do
something different from what people think it'll do)
and having 3d6 getting expanded to sum 3#t6, but then that's just lazy me.

> BTW, if you have any other suggestions, I'd like to hear them. I'm still
> looking for a nice way to display both the raw rolls and the result of
> the script. Presently, in order to get a list of rolls followed by their
> sum, you have to do something like this:
>
> let r = 3#d6 in (r, sum(r))
>
> Once I add interpolation, you'll be able to format the output:
>
> "$1 + $2 + $3 = $4"@(let r = 3#d6 in (r, sum(r)))
>
> to get this:
>
> 5 + 3 + 1 = 9

I think nobody would use it if they had to learn to write all that stuff
just to produce a 3d6 roll

imho, it would be much easier for users to write something like
wonko gains {{d6}} + {{d6}} + {{d6} = {{$1 + $2 + $3}}

and get back
wonko gains 5 + 3 + 1 = 9
of course d6 could be a much more complicated expression, but use the
expressions for rolling the dices, and the message template for the
fomatting.