Joel Uckelman on Fri, 15 Dec 2006 07:11:45 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] dice server enhancements

Thus spake Antonio Dolcetta:

> I've found the original specification (and an implementation in some
> obscure academical language) for the Roll language you based bones on.
> I see that the author has released a new version called Troll.
> I's not very different but it supports just saying 3d6 instead of 3#d6.
> Are you planning to upgrade to that ?

I'm not sure that I want to follow Troll in this respect.

3d6 in Troll doesn't do what you'd expect it to do. What you'll get is
a list of three rolls, i.e. 3#d6. Usually 3d6 is taken to mean sum(3#d6),
correct?

BTW, if you have any other suggestions, I'd like to hear them. I'm still
looking for a nice way to display both the raw rolls and the result of
the script. Presently, in order to get a list of rolls followed by their
sum, you have to do something like this:

let r = 3#d6 in (r, sum(r))

Once I add interpolation, you'll be able to format the output:

"$1 + $2 + $3 = $4"@(let r = 3#d6 in (r, sum(r)))

to get this:

5 + 3 + 1 = 9

--