Joel Uckelman on Fri, 15 Dec 2006 05:17:28 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] dice server enhancements

Thus spake Antonio Dolcetta:
> Joel Uckelman wrote:
> > Thus spake Antonio Dolcetta:

> after reading the actual documentation for bones, (i had missed it the
> first time around) I think it's super great.

Thanks.

> I was wondering if I can have the source for bones and play around with
> it ?

Yes, I'm planning to release it under the GPL over the weekend, along
with all of the other stuff at dice.nomic.net. It all uses the same
library. The interface is HTTP GETs, so you can fetch randomness
programatically if you want. (The API docs are here:
http://dice.nomic.net/api.html. This is modelled on the API for random.org.)

The email roller will change from doing the calculations itself to being
a frontend for all of this stuff. (Though it will continue to understand
the old syntax, as well.)

> What is it written in ?

C++. The parser is in Lex and Yacc. The hash db is stored using SQLite.
In total, it's about 3000 lines, so not so big.

(You can request an id for your rolls, and a running hash will be kept
of the rolls requested on that id. That way, you can verify whether
rolls are being discarded, e.g.)

--
J.