Antonio Dolcetta on Mon, 11 Dec 2006 01:57:29 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] the automatic clock

Peter Cooper Jr. wrote:
> Antonio <antonio.dolcetta@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> I have tried adding a clock to the main page of the wiki
>> there's a bot on my own server that updates the page
>> http://b.nomic.net/wiki/index.php/Clock_automatic
>> it simply updates the nday and nweek every midnight.
>> if it finds the clock to be off, it updates the ndelay instead.
>> on nday = 12 it sets the clock to off. (this is thecknically against
>> the rules i suppose, I just added it so that the administrator has
>> time to update rules etc.)
>>
>> manual intervention is required to set the clock on/off (except at the
>> end of the nweek, where it goes off by itself)
>> to do that (and to adjust the clock should the bot go crazy or
>> something) simply edit the clock_automatic page manually
>>

> Thank you very much, Antonio.
>
> It looks like it's currently running at 22:00 UTC each night. Can you
> bump that up 2 more hours?

Done, sorry about that. Can someone tell me how I can make a cron daemon
understand i want UTC based time for a particular line ?
> Is the place where you're hosting it stable enough that we can count
> on it? Do you have some sort of error reporting if it can't
> connect/breaks/whatever?

It's living on my home server. If it breaks I will receive mail about
it, and hopefully fix it asap. But I'm all for moving it somewhere else,
like on Joel's server. The only thing is that it'll be harder for me to
edit it, if I don't have access to wherever we put it.
> Is there a way to get it (or MediaWiki) to email somewhere
> (spoon-notify maybe?) on important day changes (nday 9 and nday 1
> right now)?

Hmm, that is easy, but since the list doesn't accept submissions by
unsubscribed addresses  I'll have to use my address for the bot. Is that
ok ?