Daniel Lepage on Sun, 10 Dec 2006 13:35:45 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] $wgLogo

On Dec 10, 2006, at 12:57 PM, shadowfirebird@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> Hmm... I'm going to have to disagree. RFJ 6 is not about interpreting
>> the contents of a proposal, but whether the proposal fits the rules'
>> definition of a proposal. (Now, this statement of mine could
>> certainly
>> have an RFJ submitted about it, since I might be wrong. But we'll go
>> on for now with this line of reasoning...)
>
> I find that a bit difficult to support.  The statement consisted of a
> single sentance, the subject of which was "the proposal titled...".

1) I believe the intent of the RFJ was indeed to question the
interpretation of the rules. In particular, it was questioning
whether the attempt to make the proposal was legal. In this sense it
could be interpreted to constitute a valid RFJ under your definition.
There is certainly great precedent for RFJing the state of the game
in order to implicitly settle questions about the rules, and it
generally provides more concrete and manageable statements than
trying to phrase statements about the meanings of rules in abstract
terms.

2) Regardless, your definition is incorrect. R2-5 asserts that an RFJ
must contain a Statement, but does not place any restrictions on what
that Statement may contain. While the rule does note that RFJs can
only be issued when there is disagreement about the interpretation of
the rules, it does not require that such RFJs pertain to this
disagreement. Since you did not remark on this, and in fact rule as
though my preceding claim were false, I claim that there did exist
disagreement about the interpretation of the rules, and so RFJs could
legally be submitted.

3) But regardless of both points, I agree with your judgment. The
statement was "The proposal titled "populate $wgLogo" does not
exist." If a proposal entitled "populate $wgLogo" exists, then the
statement is obviously false. Otherwise, the statement refers to
something that does not exist, and so is nonsensical. A more useable
RFJ would have been "there is no proposal entitled 'populate $wgLogo'".

list of changes to be made to the game; it does not require that this
list be nonempty, nor that there be nothing in the proposal aside
from this list, so I don't see anything wrong with the proposal
except that it doesn't do anything.

Unless it's implicitly read as "Create a rule with the following
text"; that used to be possible, too, and perhaps should be again.

--
Wonko