all players on Thu, 30 Nov 2006 09:55:38 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] Posts (like Ministers); draft rule, shoot it down now, please.

Daniel Lepage wrote:
> On Nov 30, 2006, at 11:33 AM, all players wrote:
>
>>> <draft>
>>> __Posts__
>>> Create a new rule titled "Posts"
>>> {
>>> [[DEFINITIONS]]
>>> A Post is a game object that can be assigned to a single player.
>>> Each
>>> post has a  unique title. Only one player can be in possession of a
>>> post at any  one time.
>>>
>>> For the purposes if this rule the term "player" includes the Admin;
>>> the term "post holder" refers to the player in possession of a given
>>> post.
>>>
>>> The rule defining a post must detail:
>>>
>>> 1) The "powers": that is, the game actions which the holder of the
>>> post can perform, but other players cannot.
>> I'm not sure I like the idea of postees having additional game powers.
>> Perhaps they should just have the responsibility of recognizing the
>> actions the ruleset says must happen?
>
> There is precedent of Ministers having powers. The Jedi Lord, for
> instance, got instant promotion to the highest Force Level. I believe
> we regarded it as a form of pay, and indeed the ministerial salary
> can be decreased if the ministry carries additional powers.
>
>> OTOH, there's the problem of random die rolls; someone actually has to
>> do those...
>
> Joel has a dice roller that we used to use to guarantee impartiality.

Right; I'm just saying that the rules have to authorize and compel a
specific actual person to roll the die, rather than just saying that
"this happens" where anyone can figure out the results of the action
deterministically from public information.