antonio . dolcetta on Mon, 27 Nov 2006 18:48:45 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] A different RFJ system (draft)

I like this, I like it very much actually
I just see a couple of minor problems:
one problem is that the administrator has to track exactly how much time passed since every player joined or was removed from the Mob. Also suppose i know that i don't care about being a Mob member, there should be a way for me to exclude myself semi-permanently.

another thing: what happens if there was no remedy suggested but one is needed ? does it work in a similay way to my own draft (that is the rules work their magic on their own) ?
also suppose i support the statement but i disagree with the remedy, what shall I do ?
can there be discussion between the mob and the original submitter ? can he revise the remedy ? can the mob revise the remedy ?

Ciao

Antonio

----- Original Message ----
From: David E. Smith <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: spoon-discuss@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, November 27, 2006 7:09:19 PM
Subject: [s-d] A different RFJ system (draft)

This is a draft proposal that puts justice and the RFJ system into
more of a "democratic" light. Since everyone participates in most
every other aspect of the game, why not include everyone in the RFJ
system too?

Oh, and it has a cooler name. :)

One of the things I never much liked about most of our previous
iterations of B is that RFJs almost always ended up being decided by
one person, and it would have been easy for that person to do
something evil and collusive. Hopefully, by having everyone involved,
such collusion will be a bit more difficult.

There's no justice like angry mob justice!
{{
Create the following rule:
{{
__The Mob__

There exists a game object called The Mob. Players may be members of The Mob.

New players, upon joining the game, are NOT members of The Mob.

Any player that is not a member of the Mob, and has not been a member
of the Mob for an uninterrupted period of at least two nweeks,
automatically joins The Mob.

Players may not join or leave the Mob except in manners explicitly
permitted or required by the Rules.
}}

Create the following rule:
{{
__Mob Justice__

If at any time a player believes the state of this game to be in
question or error, that player may request Mob Justice. To request Mob
Justice, a player must submit a message to a public forum, stating in
detail the nature of the question or error, and explicitly stating
that e requests Mob Justice. Such statement may, but is not required
to, include a suggested remedy for the perceived question or error.

All members of The Mob then may respond to the request for Mob
Justice, by stating on a public forum whether they agree or disagree
with the original request. Each player may make only one such
statement; if a player makes more than one such statement, the first
statement made on any given request shall be binding.

After three ndays have elapsed, the Administrator shall tally all
statements made by eligible members of The Mob. If, and only if, more
than half of all members of the mob have stated that they agree with
the request for Mob Justice, the Administrator shall implement the
original requestor's suggested remedy, if one was given.

Any player who fails to respond to two separate, consecutive requests
for Mob Justice, by stating either agreement or disagreement, is
removed from The Mob.
}}

All players are made members of The Mob.

}}

Suggestions for cleaning up the wording and such are welcome. I
haven't PLAYED in a nomic in a while, so my memory is fuzzy. :)

dave